So this is what everyone has been waiting for, a ready made CRM 2011 VM. This is available on PartnerSource and its an approx. 13Gb download.
You have the option of downloading a second VM that has exchange so the VM builders look to have put some thought into providing some performance with regards this virtual machine setup.
There is more info on PartnerSource so if you have access, happy downloading…
For interest I have included the setup steps here for reference from page 5 of the CRM 2011 VM Overview document.
This Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 VM must be run on a 64bit server with Hyper-V.
1. Download the compressed files
2. Double click the .exe file to begin the decompression, specify the desired output location
3. Open Hyper-V Manager
4. In the Actions pane (on the right), click Virtual Network Manager
- o Click New virtual network, select Private, click Add (Name: CRM2011, Connection type: Private virtual machine network), click OK
Optional: For Internet access from the VM a second virtual network (Connection type: External) is required. Repeat step 4 but select External (Name: CRM2011-External, Connection type: External). If you have an existing virtual network you can assign it to the VM after import.
5. Click Import Virtual Machine…Browse to the folder CRM2011 in the output location specified in step 2.
- o Import Settings: Move or restore the virtual machine…
- o Note: Import will complete with some warnings if you used your existing virtual network, click OK
Optional: To send E-mails between users on the Virtual Machine, repeat steps 4 & 5 to import the CRM2011-Exchange VM.
6. Within the Virtual Machines window of the Hyper-V Manager, click on CRM2011
7. In the Actions pane (on the right), under CRM2011 (at the bottom), click Settings
8. Under Hardware, click on Network Adapter.
9. Select the Network: Local Area Connection – Virtual Network, click OK
10. In the Actions pane (on the right), under CRM2011 (at the bottom), click Start
Optional: To send E-mails between users on the Virtual Machine, repeat steps 6 – 10 to configure the CRM2011-Exchange VM.
11. Within the Virtual Machines window of the Hyper-V Manager, double click on CRM2011 to connect to the VM
12. Once the VM loads, click on the icon (representing CTRL+ALT+DEL) to login.
13. Initially login using the administrator credentials.
14. A popup will appear stating You must restart your computer to apply these changes, Click Restart Now